Wednesday, February 16, 2011


MEAT PRINT OF THE DAY: PORK CHOP
Over the course of the next few days, we'll feature some of our recent work centered around meat, and we've opted to begin with the beloved Pork Chop. The red run was executed by using Gothic Woodtype and a laser-engraved woodblock made from a pork chop purchased at a local grocery and photographed in-house. White and black blocks were routed and then detailed by hand. The black was double printed to give a rich glossy flat finish which is almost mirror-like. The print is available for purchase here.

While many may not dig on swine, some have found the greatest comfort in this particular cut of meat. Bluesman Jim Jackson recorded his account of this solace in his 1928 Memphis recording "I Heard the Voice of a Pork Chop."

I walked and I walked and I walked and I walked
I stopped to rest my feet
I sat down under an old oak tree and there went fast asleep
I dreamt about sitting in a swell cafe as hungry as a bear
My stomach sent a telegram to my throat:
There's a wreck on the road somewhere

I heard the voice of a pork chop say, "Come unto me and rest."
Well you talk about your stewing beef; I know what's the best
You talk about your chicken, ham, and eggs and turkey stuffed and dressed
But I heard the voice of a pork chop say, "Come unto me and rest."


Jim Jackson's Recording of "I Heard the Voice of a Pork Chop"

No comments: